2018 INVITATIONAL SUMMER INSTITUTE
July 9 – August 2, 2018
Monday through Friday
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
at Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wisconsin
IMAGINE . . .
- a nationally-acclaimed professional learning community that puts the knowledge, experience, and voices of teachers at the center;
- the power of your own writing and scholarly inquiry;
- the skills and confidence to take your writing instruction into the digital age;
- the support, resources, and opportunities you need to have the career of your dreams.
About the Institute
The Greater Madison Writing Project’s (GMWP) Invitational Summer Institute brings together a select group of outstanding teachers working with student-writers in all academic content areas and at all grade levels, kindergarten through college. Supported by the GMWP directors and each other, these teachers spend four weeks immersed in writing, reading, and teacher inquiry workshops, ultimately returning to their schools as GMWP Teacher-Leaders. In this capacity they may provide professional development within their districts, present their research in local, regional, and national venues, and contribute to the ongoing growth of the GMWP—to name just a few of countless possibilities. In this way, the Summer Institute represents the first leg in what thousands of Writing Project Teacher-Leaders around the country have described as a career-transforming journey.
Application and Selection Process
In assembling a cohort of 14-18 teachers for the GMWP Summer Institute, the selection committee will prioritize diversity across grade levels (K-16), content areas, regions (urban, rural, suburban), and school districts (small and large). The process is as follows:
1. Applications are due on Sunday, March 12.
2. Select applicants will be invited to interview in March.
3. Decisions will be communicated to all applicants by April 3.
4. ISI Fellows confirm acceptance no later than April 10.
5. ISI Fellows must be able to attend a pre-institute orientation on Saturday, April 22.
Teachers selected for the ISI enroll for six UW-Madison credits, the cost of which is covered by GMWP Cellmer Fellowship funding. In addition to scholarships for tuition, Cellmer Fellows are also eligible for:
- on-going support from the GMWP during the 2017-2018 school year
- support to attend and present at regional, state, and national conferences
- opportunities to develop and deliver professional development